I Miss . . .
APPLES! New England grown Apples. It is a beautiful fall day here in London and all I want is an apple. I am craving an oversize Macintosh that you pull right off the branches and even with the pesticide still on it taste great.
What do I find at my local grocery store? Two options really: Australian apples or French apples. Does England not have any "guest workers" to harvest their own fruit?
So here I am with a minor - yet very important - decision. Do I buy the Australian apples - which given their original location I have no idea how long they spent on a boat/plane/train/truck to get to London? Or do I buy the French apples.
The French apples, named Honey Crunch, have specific directions: to use between Oct 25th and Oct 27th, refrigerate for freshness, but serve at room temperature. I had no idea apples could be so delicate.
Given that both are what I would classify as "miniature" in size compared to New England apples, I had a rather tough choice. I decide that Australia is not like flying some oranges up from Florida to Boston, Austrailia is pretty far away. And even though the label tells me they won't be ripe for another day or two, I go with French apples and laugh as I take my french honey crunch mini apples to the register - thinking about the US attempt to boycott french products in spring 2003.
What do I find at my local grocery store? Two options really: Australian apples or French apples. Does England not have any "guest workers" to harvest their own fruit?
So here I am with a minor - yet very important - decision. Do I buy the Australian apples - which given their original location I have no idea how long they spent on a boat/plane/train/truck to get to London? Or do I buy the French apples.
The French apples, named Honey Crunch, have specific directions: to use between Oct 25th and Oct 27th, refrigerate for freshness, but serve at room temperature. I had no idea apples could be so delicate.
Given that both are what I would classify as "miniature" in size compared to New England apples, I had a rather tough choice. I decide that Australia is not like flying some oranges up from Florida to Boston, Austrailia is pretty far away. And even though the label tells me they won't be ripe for another day or two, I go with French apples and laugh as I take my french honey crunch mini apples to the register - thinking about the US attempt to boycott french products in spring 2003.
<< Home