Monday, November 20, 2006

Brownies Are A Very American food

Brownies are a very American food, or at least that is what my British friends tell me. I was invited to a birthday/flat warming party Saturday night with a full spread of appetizers and desserts. I offered to bring Brownies. I usually stick to bringing a bottle of wine or something that does not require cooking, but given that I (the vegetarian) will be cooking a Turkey in a few days (more on that below) I decided to test out my cooking skills.

So I head off to my local grocery store and as I am browsing the isles I pick up some necessities, a brownie pan, a spatula, a whisk etc. However, I cannot find the “cake/break/brownie/pancake mix” isle. This is a very large grocery store so it should have one. After carefully walking down every isle, I start to sweat and the panic sets in. I realize they don’t have one. How can this be? Do Brits make things from scratch?

I of course, the amateur baker, have left no time to actually make brownies without a mix and I no interest in learning at this late in the hour. So I head to the bakery to buy some. I have about 8 different types of fruit cake to choose from, but no brownies. Then I see it. One measly shelf dedicated to “cake/bread/brownie mix” with only one choice for each. I grab two boxes of just add water brownie mix.

When I look back, it does not surprise me that they did not have it. Their cereal isle is about half the size and has a quarter of the selection than in the US. For chips your choice is regular Doritos, two types of pretzels and then British potato chips of the weirdest flavors like roasted duck. I doubt they have even heard of French Bread Pizza here.

The funny thing is that I broke into a full sweat when I could not find brownie mix and I am somehow hosting and cooking for 18 people on Thanksgiving. I never thought the day would come when I would have a frozen Turkey defrosting in my fridge.