Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Culture Part 1: High Tea


Culture Part 1: High Tea
Recent talks about British culture initiated an invitation to my good - British -friend Georgia's for Tea. "High Tea" is no myth. It is something that will definitely come back with me to the States. Georgia welcomed us into her Chelsea flat with scones, cucumber sandwich's, eggs sandwiches, short bread, some addictive lemon raspberry cake and lots and lots of tea. It was storybook and of course lasted 6 hours as we moved from tea to wine.

I started to think of what American culture I could bring to Britain. While the British and the Europeans may try and dissociated from American culture, they cannot resist our food. Thanksgiving went over well and many of them have inquired if I would be celebrating the Super Bowl. They seemed generally interested in whether or not I followed sport* back home, but I knew they were really after the nachos, buffalo wings and potato skins.

* this is not a grammatical error . . . I have discovered that the word"sports" does not exist over here, nor does "a sport" exist - it is just "sport". For example, I have been asked, "did you do sport today?" or "did you play sport in university?".

Culture Part 2 to follow soon. . .