Monday, March 05, 2007

Culture Part 2: The Battle of the Sexes

In England, everyone speaks English. Yes, an obvious fact I know. However, what separates these "English" speakers from myself is that English is not their native language and it is just one of 3 or 4 of the languages they speak fluently. Being from the States, it is assumed I speak Spanish or that because I studied abroad in Italy, I should be fluent in Italian - not the case in either situation. I even went on a date with a Brit that used Shakespearian English, and yes, it took quite some time to calm myself from laughter. (Note to any men reading this - Shakesperian english does not impress American women.)

It is not just limited to Europeans, London is filled with people from all over the world and they all speak at least their native language and English. But what cuts across all cultural and linguistic lines is the battle of the sexes.

My good friend Georgia (pictured in previous blog entry) and I decided that the girls need some time without the boys, so we are hosting a "Ladies Night". In almost every country women get together to have fun, sans men. Usually food and wine (lots of wine) are involved as ours will this Saturday. And as most men do and our boys did . . . they feel the need to show they can have fun too - without us. So in response, our boys are hosting a "Guys Poker Night". They have it all planned . . . except for the minor details like the venue, poker chips and anyone who actually knows how to play.

So even across the pond with all the languages and backgrounds, women are drinking wine together and men are organizing poker.