Monday, March 19, 2007

Regents Park Athletics

As mentioned in an earlier blog, London has fantastic green spaces. What is even cooler is that I played my first football (soccer for you Patriots) game in London last Friday.

Four brave girls (including me) came to play, three of them wearing jeans. The the boys showed up with full-on professional uniforms. They all had matching jerseys and shorts for their favorite teams (usually the home country).

Little did they know I came from a town where you play soccer from age 6 and has a girls high school soccer team that draws a a bigger crowd than the boys football (American) team. So I let the boys have their fun, talk sh*t and try and impress us ladies with their manly athletic skills and their sweat.

Then I scored two goals. That is me below being congratulated on my second goal. And while I brag, I also had my fair share of falls, embarrassing mishaps, moments of thinking I need to run more and the realization how old I was getting as I could barely walk the next day.