Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Master Chef

Cooking the UK is a challenge, which usually starts in the supermarket (See "Brownies" entry). You need chocolate chip's to make cookies and instead you find every type of cubed dried fruit for making fruit cake.

Today I mastered grilled cheese. Yes I know, sounds easy. But the key is that I am making it in a country that does not sell Kraft Singles American Cheese. I think the UK might even have banned Kraft products, a box of mac'n cheese would be gold here.

I think every kid in America has had Kraft Singles at some point. I have no idea why it is important, but add a single kraft slice to a fried egg and bagel sandwich and you have every hungover college kids dream breakfast/2pm food . . . an egg and cheese bagel sandwich.

But back to my cooking talents and problem solving. The first problem is that there really isn't much sliced cheese here besides aged cheddar. Cheddar can definitely go on the fried egg, but does not have the versatility to make a great grilled cheese. And by great, I mean the classic type where the there is little cheese taste and mostly butter toast. So healthy.

However, today I found that my local supermarket, Sainsbury's, carries their own brand of MILD CHEESE . . . and it tastes like American Cheese (little taste, maybe a bit plasticly and melts easily). After I perfected a grilled cheese for dinner (and spinach salad for the iron) I thought about it for a bit. What is "Mild Cheese"? What is "American Cheese"?

Other cheeses have cool names that are descriptive of what you are getting . . . and thanks to best website ever - Wikipedia - here a few common cheese.

The French: Brie is a soft cow's milk cheese named after Brie, the French province in which it originated.

The English: Cheddar cheese is a pale yellow to orange, sharp-tasting cheese originally made in the English village of Cheddar, in Somerset.

And the American: American cheese is a common processed cheese marketed by Kraft Foods, Borden, and other companies in the United States. It is orange, yellow, or white in color and mild in flavor, with a medium-firm consistency, and melts easily. It has traditionally been made from a blend of cheeses, most often Colby and Cheddar. Today's American cheese is generally no longer made from a blend of cheeses, but instead is manufactured from a set of ingredients which meets the legal definition of cheese and includes "whey protein concentrates" regularly imported from other countries.

The most common and loved food (by myself included) by kids in America is manufactured from a set of ingredients which meets the legal definition of cheese.