Talkers and Airplanes
Some say that Americans are anti-social like it is a bad thing. I think it is a good thing sometimes, like on plane rides from Boston to London when you are suffering a severe hang over. Certain actions gaureente that you will be left alone, like the ipod, a book, or in-flight movie. But the English, they just don't get it.
It all began as I was walking down the hallway to board the plane. Out of nowhere this English man starts talking to me. If he were cute, young and asked something interesting I would have been flattered, but there was no such luck. Instead, I get the odd man with a mumble.
As I approach my seat, which I have strategically picked because the plane is half empty and I chose it because there was no one in my row, I can finally excuse myself from the conversation and sit down. It was then that he mumbled, "what luck, I am sitting next to you." Oh no, I am going to be sat next to "a talker" for 6 hours. Quick thinking I grab my magazine and start reading. But he interrupts! and to tell me that he was put up for the job as a helicopter pilot for David Cameron (MP, Conversations Party Leader and probably next prime minister). Is he trying to impress me . . .cause it is not working. I assume it is a lie once I find out he was never in the RAF, as I am pretty sure that the Prime Minister usually flies with them.
I am tired, hung over, and feeling especially anti social and this guy wants to talk. I weigh all options . . .can't use the i pod or in flight movie until after we take off. Then I see the genius move of young man sitting behind me. . . he moves to an empty row. I jolt up, cut off my talker and politely excuse myself as I find an empty row to pass out in. Turns out it is the row next to the guy behind me. . . .who happens to be my age, a Bostonian, partied all night like I did, just wants to relax. Like I said earlier, genius on the move.
It all began as I was walking down the hallway to board the plane. Out of nowhere this English man starts talking to me. If he were cute, young and asked something interesting I would have been flattered, but there was no such luck. Instead, I get the odd man with a mumble.
As I approach my seat, which I have strategically picked because the plane is half empty and I chose it because there was no one in my row, I can finally excuse myself from the conversation and sit down. It was then that he mumbled, "what luck, I am sitting next to you." Oh no, I am going to be sat next to "a talker" for 6 hours. Quick thinking I grab my magazine and start reading. But he interrupts! and to tell me that he was put up for the job as a helicopter pilot for David Cameron (MP, Conversations Party Leader and probably next prime minister). Is he trying to impress me . . .cause it is not working. I assume it is a lie once I find out he was never in the RAF, as I am pretty sure that the Prime Minister usually flies with them.
I am tired, hung over, and feeling especially anti social and this guy wants to talk. I weigh all options . . .can't use the i pod or in flight movie until after we take off. Then I see the genius move of young man sitting behind me. . . he moves to an empty row. I jolt up, cut off my talker and politely excuse myself as I find an empty row to pass out in. Turns out it is the row next to the guy behind me. . . .who happens to be my age, a Bostonian, partied all night like I did, just wants to relax. Like I said earlier, genius on the move.
<< Home