Monday, May 21, 2007

Finals

Final exams in the UK are a really big deal. I just had my first one. It was three hours. I would say I passed . . .just barely.

If you don't pass, you have to sit the finals again next year. And you have to pass all your finals to graduate even if your average from essays will keep you in passing zone.

As if that is not enough stress . . . they add some for you.

First they are located off campus, so you have to travel to get there. You are herded into a room with about 200+ other students, some taking the same final, some from another program. You are assigned a seat. They are proctored . . . and very rigid. Here are the rules.

On your desk you can only have the minimum:
1. writing utensils (at least it is not number 2 pencils)
2. calculator
3. Official UCL ID and your forms stating your seat number.
4. A non carbonated drink with a screw top. (I was so nervous I forgot I had water with me.)

Other rules include:
Your not allowed to use the bathroom in the first 30 minutes.
You must remove your coat and backpack prior to sitting down.
Nothing other than the four item above can be brought to your desk . . .not even scratch paper.

So as if this is not rigid enough, they walk up and down your isle constantly throughout the test.

So I just have four more. And three of them fall within 24 hours of each other. Fun times.